CryptoParty at the University of Dhaka
Monday, 4th of April, 2016
bring your laptop
Privacy is a basic human right
Party like it's 1983!
Privacy is a human right.
To regain control of your own privacy in the digital world you should get to know the technologies of cryptography and anonymization.
A wide range of tools can help you to do just that. At a CryptoParty you can learn what's available and how to use it. Or you want to teach others? Then of course you're very much welcome, too.
All CryptoParties follow the guiding principles:
- Sudo Leadership
- No Harassment
- As Simple As Possible
- Free to Attend
Learning is always an individual process. Hence we will have separate tables for each topic. Just pick the one you're most interested in.
- encrypt emails with PGP
- anonymous surfing Tor
- privacy enhancing browser plugins
file and hard-drive encryption with TrueCrypthard-drive encryption with LUKS
- password security and managers
- Linux installation
- Tails (safe and anonymous operating system… please bring a thumb drive if interested)
- Pond (encrypted Tor based messaging system without meta data and spam)
Also worth a look:
Taking photos or filming will not be allowed. Please leave the cameras in your pockets.
Browser-Plugins & Search engines
- Tracking-Blocker: Disconnect.me
- Tracking-Blocker: Privacy badger
- Search engine: duckduckgo
- Search engine: startpage
- Registration at jabber servers:
- Pidgin (software)
- OTR (encryption plugin for Pidgin):
- Ubuntu/Debian: apt-get install pidgin pidgin-otr
- Thunderbird (software)
- Enigmail (encryption plugin for Thunderbird)
- Ubuntu/Debian: apt-get install gpg icedove-enigmail
- LUKS (Linux)
Tools for mobile phones
- F-droid (free & open source software repository - have to enable instal. of apps from unkown sources)
- Search F-droid for:
- orbot & orweb (browsing via Tor)
- K-9 Mail (E-mail app)
- APG (encryption plugin for K-9 Mail)
- Mailvelope (PGP encryption browser plugin for webmail)
- https://whispersystems.org/ TextSecure, RedPhone and Signal (SMS + VoIP Telephony)
- https://chatsecure.org/blog/ Instant Messenging (Jabber + OTR)